Prev: [FT] rerolls for anti-fighter fire query Next: [OT] was Re: Anyone use FB ships?

FB - Thrust Ratings for Freighters

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 08:49:42 -0500
Subject: FB - Thrust Ratings for Freighters

I did some calculations...  (I know, it is a very bad habit and a really
should stop...)

The thrust ratings of freighters should increase as they cary less
cargo.	Why?  Size doesn't mean much in space, but mass does.  Without
cargo, those freighters mass a whole lot less, and their engines will be
able accelorate and deccelorate them much more quickly.  Note that this
could also be applied to some carriers, but I've checked every single
carry in the FB, there is no difference in their thrust ratings.  For my
purposes, only full 5% increases of drive mass to ship counts.

Formula:  (Md x Td) / (Md - Meh) = Tc
Md = Design Mass, or mass when fully loaded
Td = Design Thrust, or thrust when fully loaded
Meh = Mass of Empty Holds, how cargo is the ship not carrying
Tc = Current Thrust, what is the current thrust rating for the ships
mass.

Note:  Always round down to the nearest whole thrust.

Examples from the FB:
Full Cargo Modules:    4/4    3/4     2/4     1/4     0/4

Heavy Freighter:	    2	    2	     3	       4       6
Medium Freighter	  2	  2	   3	     4	     6
Light Freighter 	      2       2        3	 4	 6
Free Trader		      4       4        5	 5	 6
Fleet Auxillary 	       2       2	2	 3	 4
Bulk Carrier		       1       1	1	  2	 3

IAS

Prev: [FT] rerolls for anti-fighter fire query Next: [OT] was Re: Anyone use FB ships?