Prev: Re: Anyone use FB ships? Next: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size

Re: [DS] Engineering systems size

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:40:55 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Brian Burger wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Ndege Diamond wrote:
>
> > Do the various vehicle engineering systems take up space inside of a
vehicle?
> > I haven't been able to find mention of this in the book.  Is it
there or is
> > it time to Make Stuff Up?
>
> It's time to Make Stuff Up. (the formal phrase is House Rules...)

this has bothered me occasionally, and there are a few other things
which
it applies to, such as in-vehicle medical and command posts (not c3i
systems). i'll go look these up ...

> Stopgap rule ideas: Bridgelayers: Bridge takes up the whole damn hull.
> Size of bridge carried (therefore weight limit on bridge) is equal to
the
> vehicle's hull size. Only the 'free' APSW is allowed - maybe not even
> that.

another way to put this is to say that a bridging system takes up cp
equal
to its size times 5.

> CEV/armour repair package: Don't know. Biggish - call it 10 to 15 cap
> points. I haven't got my DS2 book n front of me.

for recovery, i'd say something like 3 x size of vehicle to be
recovered.
john atkinson has 5 x size, which would mean dedicated ARVs. this makes
sense, so we should probably go with it. i hate to say it, but ... he is
the ... ex... pert... here. phew. that was tough :-).

as for a general engineering package, i just say 8 cp, like all the
other
big special packages (hq, troops). i think breaking it down with the
degree john proposes is unnecessary; to use a borrow from the man, it is
"below ds2's level of granularity". after all, that would make
engineering
stuff as detailed as guns, and that's not appropriate in a game, unlike
real life.

Tom

Prev: Re: Anyone use FB ships? Next: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size