Prev: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Demo Day Next: Re: the Great game [Crossover Warning]

Re: SW4 (and changing NI in the Tuffleyverse)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:34:13 -0500
Subject: Re: SW4 (and changing NI in the Tuffleyverse)

Noa>> close to NI or its associated worlds (excpet for New Jordan and
possibly
Noa>> the ex-colony of Tzfat). NI at 'current' time is content with
depriving

Atk> Tzfat?  Who's Tzfat?  Is this another one I need to put up, or is
this
Atk> something NI grabbed from the IF?

In my NI history, I have Tzfat as an NI colony world that got sacked by
the IF in 2126. Now it's either empty or occupied by IF under a new name
(They certainly wouldn't keep "Tzfat").

Noa>> As for lack of web presence, That's true of NI as well. I hope I
can
Noa>> remedy that someday.

Atk> No problem. . . I might be able to whip something up subject to
your
Atk> approval.

Sounds great. Let's talk.

Atk> They might not.  I'm not so sure the Islamic Federation is of the
same
Atk> opinion.

Las> One emir or another has a blood feud with any group you care to
name.

Granted, there will always be one or several actively belligerent
groups, but rarely the entire IF.

[From another thread]
Las> The Islamic Federation tends to use Thrust 1 or 2 tugs (often
requisitioned
Las> civilian vessels) to carry their warships.  Two Thrust 1 ships are
more
Las> efficient (in terms of merchant runs) than on Thrust 2 ship of the
same
Las> hauling capacity.
Las> IF warships tend to be Thrust 6, no FTL drives, and pretty
dangerous for
Las> their mass....

This sets up lovely scenario dynamics betwen the IF and NI. In a
'standard' encounter, IF goes for maximum damage, NI wants to play 'kill
the FTL' and bug out, stranding the sublight ships. Scneario reflects
the doctrines of the two groups to a T.

Noa>> Call me a revisionist, but I'm not content with NI being a bitter,
Noa>> vengeful, bloodthirsty mercenary power in the Tuffleyverse.

Sch> I agree, but I would say that they might be "opportunistically
hostile"
Sch> when they could get away with it. You don't put aside that kind of
fued in
Sch> the amount of time we're talking.

"Opportunistically hostile." Certainly. But only when the security of NI
is threatened. Of course the perception of threat can have a very wide
latitude. The dynamic in the 22nd century is not the same as present
Earth. NI and IF are physically quite seperate and pose no active border
threats to each other, though even I have set up Tzfat as a possible
territorial conflict. The only other reasons for conflit are political,
economic, and spiteful. Having been burned and nearly destroyed twice in
one century, NI cannot affort the latter type conflict. It is paranoid
up to a point, fundamentally dedicated to the survival and security of
its people. Aggression without good reason and/or extremely low risk
undermines that security.

Sch> I see the NIS as a mercenary power that does alot of things that
never see
Sch> the light of day.

Certainly there are operations like this. Others on the list have
convinced me that the make sense for NI as a source of training,
intelligence, and income. Bu it is one branch (and certainly not the
main focus) of the NI.

Sch> Not to say that they leave a bloody trail, but more like
Sch> information brokers who have a strong arm to back things up. If the
Sch> opportunity presents itself to get back at an old foe with a surety
that no
Sch> one will ever find out...

Yes. This I see too.

Noam

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Prev: Re: Battlefleet Gothic Demo Day Next: Re: the Great game [Crossover Warning]