Prev: Re: the Great game [Crossover Warning] Next: Re: SW4 (and changing NI in the Tuffleyverse)

[FT] Accel/Decel in cinematic movement

From: Ken Martin <martin@z...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:07:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [FT] Accel/Decel in cinematic movement

Hey, guys, I'm taking a poll.

I have a question about when acceleration is applied in Full Thrust
cinematic movement.  Does it affect the ship's velocity in the turn in
which the thrust is used, or does it affect the ship's velocity for the
*next* turn?

I've played FT with several different people, and it's been about a
50/50 split which way it goes.	I've read the movement rules in FT2
several times, and it's not explicit.  I counted three places that
implied it affects this turn's V, and one place that implied it affects
next turn's V, along with several completely ambiguous statements.  I
don't have my book with me or I'd quote 'em.

Personally I don't care too much either way, except that I happen to
love fighters.	And using the FB fighter movement rules it gives a huge
advantage to fighters if thrust affects the next turn's movement instead

of this turn's movement.  Therefore, I prefer having the delta-V happen
immediately, not wait a turn.  You may ask, "why?" when it hurts my
effectiveness, and the answer is that I think fighters are more than
effective enough without the additional advantage of knowing exactly how

far every ship on the board is going to move, even if you don't know
where they're turning.

So, for those of you who use cinematic movement, which way do you play?

Thanks,
--Ken Martin
martin@zso.dec.com

Prev: Re: the Great game [Crossover Warning] Next: Re: SW4 (and changing NI in the Tuffleyverse)