Prev: GZG Player Locations Next: Re: The many Marks of the GZG Mailing List.

Re: A new power to deal with, (Stranger Than Fiction)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:24:45 +1000
Subject: Re: A new power to deal with, (Stranger Than Fiction)

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> So far we have the Alarishi, New Roman Empire, New Confederate States,
> Union of Border Worlds, Free Ukranians, New Sicilians, New Serbia, and
> New Tiblisi (last four are supporting cast for NRE) who else?

Dunno about the NAC allowing seccessionists much leeway. And other
powers even less.

With perhaps ONE exception... the OU. You see, there's precedent.

It's not very well known, but there are actually two sovereign nations
recognised by the UNO inhabiting the continent of Australia at the
moment. The Commonwealth of Australia (about the same size as the
continental USA), and... the Hutt River Province (about the same size as
Normal, Missouri).

Have a look at http://www.wps.com.au/hutriver/hut1.htm

You won't believe it. Yet it's true: the HRP _legally_ seceeded from
Australia in 1970, by Australia's own laws. Yes, two burly coppers and
one dog could "re-integrate" it. But that would be an act of aggression,
no different from Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, or Indonesia's annexation
of east Timor.
The beaureaucrats or politicians who ordered it would be liable for
trial  for commiting war-crimes, to wit, planning and ordering an
aggressive war. Now Indonesia and Iraq would just laugh off such a move,
but we like to think we're a bit more civilised (HA!).

Oh yes, Westpac (one of the larger Banks in the Pacific Rim) changes HRP
notes for Oz Dollars at a 1:1 ratio (or did, last time I looked). And
I'm told there are a number of treaties in place, extradition, tax
sharing etc.

I can see the OU being a very heterogenous group of island- and
asteroidal- states, only united by foreign policy and a common currency.
Maybe all those completely useless, planetless M-type stars that are all
over our neighbourhood are "claimed" by the OU, as no-one else wants
them, and no-one else is silly enough to place 30-200 colonists in a
system to call it home.

In the meantime, and in recognition of the HRP, I've decided my FT fleet
in Cancon will be lead by the good ships "Prince Lenard" and "Princess
Shirley".

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo