Prev: Re: Unoffical Powers Page, was Re: A new power to deal with Next: Re: A new power to deal with, The [insert name here]

Re: [FT]Twilight Imperium Campaigns

From: Christopher Pratt <valen@g...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:41:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT]Twilight Imperium Campaigns

<grumble> ohhh....that damn netscape...crashed after I wrote
a really long post on this...damn...well...heres the short
version. </grumble>

what I want to do with TI is assign a credit value to FT
points.  for example, instead of purchasing a cruiser on
your turn for 6 credits, you would spend 6 credits, get 180
FT points (assuming a 30FT to 1 CR ratio) and purchase
whatever ships you want... want a small carrier...cool want
a couple of destroyers...cool

I was also thinking of tossing all the current ship markers
and replacing them with fleet markers (where I would get
these, i don't know), assume that a FTL exit & entry point
is very easily detectable, it makes sense for you to know
that a fleet is in a given system.  What ships make up that
fleet, you're just gonna have to go see for yourself.

Naturally we would have to replace the racial abilities of
the Norr, Jol'nar (didn't include letnev because they are
Tooo powerful) and mentak with something... (since their
abilities relate to the combat system we aren't using).  I
was thinking of just giving the Norr/Jol'nar a straight
+1/-1 on all revelant combat rolls during an FT battle, I
don't think this would be too outta wack with their
abilities (or lack thereof) in TI combat.  Mentak on the
other hand...humm...gonna have to think of something.

As for the tech tree, I'll have to take a look at it tonight
and see what I can come up with

Andrew & Alex wrote:

> Christopher Pratt <valen@gatecom.com> wrote:
> >I think a thousand is prolly way toooooo much...remember that we have
> play
> >out these battle with minitures later :)
> >I'd have to look at the costs for ships agian, but if i remember
right a
> >dreadnought is 10 credits, so my thinking went along the lines of 500
FT
> points
> >for a dreadnought, thus 50 points for 1 credit.
> >we would also have to come up with a R&D system to incorporate the
weapons
> and
> >such from full thrust.
>     I was thinking of the carrier ability of carrying 8/10 ground
forces,
> planetary defence systems and fighter group units and thinking how big
they
> are so they could be built using the Full Thrust Fleet Book. Which
explains
> why I suggested about a 1000 points per credit.
>     But now on second thought, if we assume that it's not one carrier,
but a
> bunch of cheap "tin can" transports carrying the ground forces,
planetary
> defence forces and fighter groups, which don't really cost much and
are
> incorporated into the ground forces costs, perhaps. But that sounds a
little
> too odd.
>     On third thought, perhaps we could discard the credits to Twilight
> Imperium units to Full Thrust units, and use a 1 credit to 50 or 100
FT:FB
> points like you say. It gives a wider range of forces to field, but
> eliminates some of the racial advantages/disadvantages for star fleet
> combat. For example, the Jol Nar would loose their -1 penalty in
combat, and
> so would the Letnev loose their +1 bonus in combat for having a trade
> agreement.
>     Another alternative (fourth thought?) is let the ship counters
represent
> any fixed number of credits. So you could have units worth any where
from 1
> credit to, say, 15 credits. This would mean that that counter is worth
> points in a FT:FB battle. This means new counters would have to be
made up.
> And this means that their hyperlight or star system to star system
travel
> distance will be the same. No difference between fighter (with high
tech),
> cruiser, dreadnought and carrier FTL speed. It also means that the
Twilight
> Imperium tech chart becomes almost worthless.
>     Perhaps a second cost to the fleet unit to represent FTL fleet
speed?
> Normal cost = 1 hex. +50% = 2 hex, +100% = 3 hex?
>
>     Any opinions, comments, suggestions?
>
> >sounds like a fun game though
>     Yes. We had to stop (getting tooo late) just before I won! :-)
We'll

--
later
christopher pratt