Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: Re: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?

RE: [FTFB] Rules Clarification

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:24:33 -0600
Subject: RE: [FTFB] Rules Clarification

Oerjan wrote:
> > Another question semi related to the above is how many fighters can
be
> > in a group?
>
> Up to 6. FT specifies this squadron size; FB doesn't change it (and we
> haven't discussed any change either); BUT there's no printed
restriction
> on having squadrons initially *smaller* than 6 craft. IMO there should
be
> one, since 3 squadrons of 2 fighters each are *much* more resistant to
> defensive fire than 1 squadron of 6 fighters, not to mention how good
6
> fighters operating independently are. They are also a book-keeping
pain,
> but most rules-lawyers are prepared to take the book-keeping to get
that
> extra combat edge :-/

One of the complaints I have heard about the EFSB rules specifically and
it
relates to the FB fighter rules is the ability of a single fighter
assigned
to screen a ship to stop a full squadron of 6 attacking fighters.
Cheese
players could break up a squadron into 6 separate squadrons to prevent
fighter attack, for a turn at least.

I'd like to see a quick rule something like the following.   If the
attacking squadron has more fighters than the screening squadron, in
order
to actually stop the fighters from attaching the ship, roll a d6 and the
modified result must be greater than zero.  Modifications are: Subtract
the
difference in the number of fighters between the two squadrons, -1 if
the
screening Squadron is a Turkey, +1 if the screening squadron are
interceptors, +1 if an Ace is in the screening squadron, -1 if the
attackers
have an Ace, +1 if a Turkey.

If the attacking fighters are not stopped (modified result is zero or
less)
they can attack the ship but screening fighters will get resolve an
attack
on them first.

Anyone ever run into this and try to resolve it this way or any other
way?

Dean

Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: Re: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?