Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics Next: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:12:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics

John Crimmins wrote:

> Why are we discussing a million point starship?  Because someone gamed
with
> it.  That is what we do on this list, right?	Discuss games?	If you
asking
> why one would play with such a ship, all I can ask in response is: Why
not?
>  It's no more absurd than the Death Star, is it?  Just think of it as
an
> Ogre in space.

In order:
That's what I asked.
Not someone who's quite right in the head
Well, yes.
Yes.
Because no opponent in his right mind would agree to a multi-million
point game, because no one with a normal income has enough miniatures to
put out a million points of normal ships, because the time spent marking
off damage would a significant fraction of my lifetime, because it would
take a week to plot the movement of a million points worth of normal
ships, and because you'd need a gymnasium to game in.
I don't use the damn Death Star either.
And Ogres are pretty silly too--and die nicely in DSII.

> As for the genre....	It's Science FICTION, John.  Infinite
possibilities.
> That's why I like it so much.  Broaden your mind, man!  Expand your
> horizons!  You'll have much more fun that way.

There is SCIENCE Fiction, and *mumblequickly*science*mumble* FICTION.
This definitely is latter.

I'm not saying you can't, it is afterall a free country and you're
welcome to whatever floats your boat.  But don't get me started on a
discussion of tactics and then spring this on me.  I'd be in a less
dumbfounded frame of mind if the subject head was "REALLY, REALLY BIG
SHIPS" and we started out with the stats of this spacegoing planet.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics Next: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics