Prev: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions... Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...

Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:32:52 -1000
Subject: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...

<Snip questions I can't comment on..>

Those were the questions. Now I need some opinions.

>My Power Armour guys were armed with Traveller PGMP-14s. These I had as
D6
>Firepower, D12 Impact. The rules in SG2 include situations where a
squad
fires
>small arms at a vehicle, and includes rules for squads firing support
weapons
>capable of penetrating a vehicle. However, this is a special case.
>
>You see, my squads of 4 PA guys consist--essentially--of 4 guys
carrying
>support weapons. Each guy is capable of firing upon, and penetrating, a
>vehicle. The problem is that the SG2 rules don't actually handle
multiple
>support weapons against vehicles. (Imagine a WW2 scenario with three or
four
>guys firing panzerfausts at a single tank, and you have similar
problems.)

>So, how should I resolve these weapons firing on a vehicle? I came up
with
4
>options. I'd like your choice of option (or another option, if you have
>better idea, or if I've missed something in the rules).
>
>1) Fire the weapons like a small arms unit. The four guys would roll a
quality
>die plus 4D6 against the vehicle. On a major hit, the dice are divided
by
the
>range die to get the number of weapons that hit. These are then rolled
for
>penetration. (I tried this, but the weapons seemed unduly bloody, with
almost
>every vehicle brewing up...)

Lots of easy, very deadly hits - It sounds withering-just as you say.

>2) Fire the weapons like a small arms unit, as in #1, but only roll ONE
die
>for penetration versus armour. This allows for a lot of easy hits, but
>penetration becomes a crap shoot.

This seems to leave out the deadly effect that concentrations of
high-power
weaponry has.  If you concentrate that much destructive force in a small
area, things should go pop easier that if it is just 1 weapon is
attacking.
So I agree that this is not a good idea.

>3) Allow all four guys to roll as individuals. That is, they each roll
>quality die plus a D6, and roll for penetration individually.

By itself this seems to be the best option, but then squads can easily
not
be squads again, and it slows play to some degree (and from what I have
heard, SG2 can be slow enough at times)

>4) Allow the guys to fire in teams of two. Each team rolls a quality
die
plus
>2D6, but makes only one penetration roll. I tried this and it seems to
work
>well, but I have a hard time justifying it.

Interesting idea - and it sounds like it gives results closer to what
you
want -

How about a modified #2 - Fire like a small arms unit (lots of easy
hits),
and then roll a single penetration, but with modifiers for each
additional
hit (+1 or whatever).  It seems like it is partway between 2 & 4, and
the
mechanism is extensible to any number of guys (even odd numbers) in a
non-arbitrary way.  It is partway crap-shoot, but better odds the more
guys
are firing.  Justification seems easier than #4. Never having played SG,
don't know how the modifier would skew the result, but it is a
thought...

>Any comments would be appreciated.

Easy to say when you haven't read the comments yet ;->

Jared Noble

Prev: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions... Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...