Prev: Re: Snow! Next: RE: Snow!

Re: Snow!

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:58:21 GMT
Subject: Re: Snow!

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:16:58 -0700, Samuel Reynolds
<reynol@primenet.com>
wrote:

>Well, if the primary targetting systems are lasers, the snow
>could cause a downward shift in targetting die.

Hmm, I'd disagree. A HEL powerful enough to do damage to an armoured
target
isn't going to be significantly degraded by snow, even in a blizzard.

>Perhaps for every
>two levels of (snow + wind), downgrade targetting die by one.
>Of course, this would affect *all* weapons that use optical
>targetting--laser sights, iron sights, etc. SODAR would be
>similarly affected, but radar would not.

Maybe use it for laser sighting, but I wouldn't for HELs. Maybe someone
with
experience using laser sighting equipment in snow could jump in here.

>   You could also get significant clouds of steam around a
>target after an energy-weapon hit. These might reduce weapon
>effectiveness (block/absorb some energy) and/or target die
>(harder to see, as above) on subsequent shots.

Steam I could see. Especially with those HELs zapping through the snow.
You'd
see steam trails rising as the HELs lanced through the falling snow.
That
would decrease visibility further...

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com

Prev: Re: Snow! Next: RE: Snow!