Prev: Re: [FT] [SG] The P'Taah Next: Re: Campaign Rules Question

Campaign Rules Question

From: IronLimper@a...
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:34:52 EST
Subject: Campaign Rules Question

  I've been working for a while on an operational or theatre level
campaign
for FT off and on for a while now and I'm having some trouble with an
easy way
to deal with logistics. More specificly, commerce raiding.
  The basic mechanism I'm using for logistics is as follows. Each side
has a
supply rating, a number that corresponds to a supply level (ie 0-10
Unsupplied, 11-25 Badly Supplied, etc). For ships to be repaired or to
take on
new stores of expendables (missiles, fighters, submunitions, etc) they
roll on
a Logistics table. Obviously, the better their supply situation, the
better
their chance to get repaired or resupplied is.
  This seems like a fairly simple yet accurate enough way of dealing
with the
logistics situation, at least at this level. My  problem is dealing with
commerce raiding. Since I didn't want to deal with keeping track of
every
convoy (and this is a 2-player campaign, so double-blind isn't a factor
here)
I wanted to abstract the process. My first thought was that each player
could
assign ships to Commerce Raiding and Convoy Protection pools. During the
Logistics phase of the Strategic turns we could roll on a CRT using the
PV of
the respective pools against each other. This seems like a pretty good
method,
except that I don't think it would model the damage to the ships in the
pools
too well (the point being, of course, to damage to other fellows Supply
rating
and not so much the elimination of the pool ships, though that would be
seconday goal). A thought occurs to me while typing, possibly a two step
process. The first roll to indicate the "convoy battle) so to speak
between
the warships (this would be where the damage to the warships is
accounted for)
then a second roll modified by the first (column shift or die mod) tht
reflects the damage done to the enemies Supply level. The problem of
applying
the damage to the warships still remains, but that may not be too much
of a
problem.
  Well, now that I think I solved my problem, are there any thoughts out
there?

Don

Prev: Re: [FT] [SG] The P'Taah Next: Re: Campaign Rules Question