Prev: Re: [OT] MRE Next: Re: [OT] MRE

Re: Ubermensch in DSII? GW-thread?

From: Magnus Alexandersson <m96maal@m...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:09:02 +0100
Subject: Re: Ubermensch in DSII? GW-thread?

John C wrote so graciously:

> I do have a few ideas about the Eldar (Or "Old Ones" in my little
> universe), none of which have ever been used.  I like the figures, and
> have a lot of them, but have only painted one tank and a few sample
> pieces.  The old Harlequin figures remain among my favorites, though.
> don't know how workable these ideas would be, but they should be
> playable, not too weird (and thus would not obscure the basic SGII
> mechanics), and have some of the Eldar flavor (as I see it).	Try 'em,
> or not.

Problem w/ GW40k is that the game relies on specialcases. "If you fire
with
that wpn from there this will happen, but if you fire at those other
guys
this will happen...

> Movement: 8"/4d4x2"  The use of 4d4 for the combat move gives them a
> higher average movement, which beter represents their legendary speed
> and grace.

This is something I'd like to use in my 'Nids. They are just collecting
dust
on a shelf right now. :o(It would be super to be able to use them in
40k.

I have made my ongoing work available on the net if you want to have a
look.

It's:
www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md8maal/

Goto framed section => GW => Tyranids.

> The winged guys (Shining Hawks, I believe) should have
> 20"/d20x2", along with the ability to ignore most terrain.
Teleporters?
> Spider guys, I think.  Give them a 1d12 move, but they don't actually
> cross the area between point A and point B.

Swooping Hawkes and Warp Spiders...; )

I would like to stress the point that the Aspects: Hawkes, Scorpions,
Spiders, Banshees, Avengers, Reapers and what not are elite class
warriors.
They are the equivalent (almost) to the Space Marines.

They have ordinary troops also, the guardians who are the equivalents of
the
Imp. Guard.

> Armor: Full Light Armor (d8)	If he was Wraithguard, just make them
into
> heavy power armor.
>
> Weapons: Lasrifle (Firepower 3, Penetration d6).  To depict the
accuracy
> of a laser weapon, you could have it treat all targets as though they
> were one rangeband closer.

That firepower seems quite high, since the lasgun in the GW40k universe
is
the most basic and used weapon in the galaxy.

> If you are playing with a complete newbie,
> and want to give him a break, make it work like the HELs in DSII:
> EVERYthing is close range.
>	Shuriken Catapault (Firepower 3, Penetration d8).

Maybe firepower 2, equivalent to the boltgun gamewise (all depending on
flavour... cheese any1?;)

> I'm not too familiar with the current GW or background for the Eldar,
> but I believe that they break heavy weapons into their own seperate
> squads, and do the same with the CC guys.

Aspect Hvywpn squads and hvywpn teams (platforms).They use their Aspects
as
CC.

> I'd give the heavy weapons
> guys the closest SGII equivalent (with SUperior Firecons and guidence,
> when appropriate), and give the CC guys a +1 or +2 die shift in melee.
> Again, it depends on how generous you want to be.
>
> With a new guy, especially one used to 40K, I'd give him all the help
he
> can take; 40Kr tactics will not work all that well in SGII, and the
> cognitive leap can be a difficult one to make.  The last thing that
you
> want to do is make his first game of SGII into a slaughter.  That's a
> good way to lose a potential player.	I've seen it happen.

If you need to check on some gw40k things, mail me. I've played around
with
it quite alot.

///magnus-sticking-his-head-out-in-the-wrong-croud...

Prev: Re: [OT] MRE Next: Re: [OT] MRE