Prev: Gas Skimmers Next: Re: [DS] [SG2] GMS launchers

RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:22:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> > Well Brian, to me these seem quite workable, although the use of an
extra
> > dice against GMS seems a little out of place. The defence roll
against GMS
> > is an EW roll. Although it is getting down to multiple die rolls,
perhaps a
> > secondary roll of the APFC vs the GMS if teh GMS is successful in
beating
> > the tanks EW would be more appropriate.
>
> Pardon? Look again, Mr. Glover! It turns out Brian was against using
> these Vs. GMS as DS2 won't let you do this. I think if you did, it
> should be a second roll versus GMS if ECM fails.

I was doing a literal translation of the DS2 rules to SG2, as much as
possible. In DS2, IAVRs usually draw Red & yellow chits. Vs APFC
equipped
vehicles, they draw Yellow only - a fairly major reduction.

Thus the d8 secondary die, in addition to the range die usually rolled
vs
IAVRs in SG2.

> > One thing I could see happening is a change in anti-infantry tactics
for
> > tanks. Since you are proposing an automatic d10 attack on any
infantry I
> > have this vision of people rushing their tanks up to an infantry
squad and
> > *POW*.
>
> I don't think so. Here's a question: How is the APFC triggered? What
> stops trees, fences, etc. from setting it off? Just asking this so
> that I can envision what kind of counters the infantry might devise
> to deal with this annoyance. I can see tactics evolved to strip a
> tank of its APFC screen.

I more or less envision APFCs being controlled & triggered by a
combination of sensors, esp. IR, proximity decetors, and target
recognition systems, all controlled by a fast computer. Thus, a tree
would
trigger the proximity detectors, but fail to trip the IR or target ID
systems, thus the computer wouldn't trigger APFC charges. A human target
would trip the IR, prox and ID sensors, and eat a flechette load. It's
not
an entirely independant system - it draws from the vehicles overall
sensor
net, and is tied into the target ID system.

> > I might suggest the owner of teh tank simply stating at the turn if
his APFC
> > is ACTIVE or IN-ACTIVE or perhaps place a chit on top of the turret
> > indicate this(OK ALL YOU CHIT HATERS CAN IGNORE THIS!) or mark on a
> > sheet/card teh APFC status. As you say this can be computer
controlled.

> I like this idea. I think manually firing your APFCs is in fact an
> action. Although driving into infantry with this system active may
> trigger it.... depending on what it uses for sensors. Stationary
> infantry who are prone or in cover may not set it off.

Manual triggering would be an action. The automatic system going off
should not be.

> > However I would only play this rule in games when the proposed rules
for
> > Vehicle Assault are used otherwise it out balances in favour of the
tank
> > even more.
>
> Agreed.

Of course. I haven't used the Vehicle Assault rules, but I'll take
another
look at them - this and the Assault rules are natural counterparts.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html -DS2/SG2/misc-