Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:15:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> Mark Shurtleff wrote:
> > Greetings, all!
> > Has anyone actually *used* the wave gun effectively in MT or FB
games?

> Yes, in MT (with and without Vector movement). I haven't used it
> effectively in FB yet - the one time I used it in an FB battle, the
ship
> took a treshold hit from long-range (Class-4) fire on its fully loaded
> Wavegun before it could fire :-(

Yes, a significant flaw in the weapon system - one of the reasons I like
it.
:)

> > I'm trying to come up with a consistant 'theme' for my K'rathri
fleet

> Hm. I miss an "il" somewhere in that name ;-)

I wonder why <g> . . . . .

[snip]

> Well... WGs are pretty efficient missile- (MT-style) and
> fighter-sweepers, especially if use en masse. Six ships line abreast,
> each firing a wavegun (or, God forbid, a Nova Cannon) straight ahead,
are
> outright *nasty*, especially if the enemy has low-thrust ships.
They're
> even nastier if you use Vector movement, 'cause it is much easier to
> predict where he's going to be. This applies to Nova Cannon as well.
>
> So, well...  if all of your ships have WGs, I wouldn't be surprised if
> your opponents complain. If only a few of them do, I at least wouldn't
> mind... but it might be worthwhile to try them out before you commit
> entirely to this course :-/

I had planned to limit the WG to the SD, DN, and possibly a specialized
CH
classes - everything else will be heavy on the Pulse Torps as their main
armament.  The primary theme I want to use is fighters and PTs - the
assumption being that the K'rathri want to fight "up close & personal".
I'm
going to have some fun with morale rules - K'rathri ships that fail
morale
will be more likely to blindly attack the nearest target, at the
exclusion of
any fleet orders received ('Clan Honor' and all that jazz :).

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
  visit the Gear Locker at http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure