Prev: Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, structure of the NAC

Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:33:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

CartoGrafx@aol.com wrote:

> I tell you what...I'm not gonna argue with you...suffice to say the
Germans
> used dirt roads to great effect in 1941 in Russia...1940 in Greece for
that

I've read van Creveld's study on the logistical aspects of the 1941
campaign in Russia.  It's not a good example.  Very ugly.  Of course,
Germans had insufficient trucks moving insufficient supplies across vast
expanses with insufficient roads.  Not a good combo.  Plus the railroads
were all in that screwy communist gage which isn't compatible with
anyone else's railroads, so the Germans were stuck with using captured
rolling stock (most of which was destroyed or damaged) and rebuilding
the entire rail network.

> can have mine. If John can have large bands  of flunkies with assault
rifles
> in trucks and some sort of Cossack like light cav troopers, why
couldn't you

No, no actual light cavalry.  Just light armored cavalry.  :)

> Look at Turkey today....the airforce siphons off most of the
technically
> superior people that want to go into the service, leaving the dregs
for the
> navy and the army....which is why they fly f-16's while making do with
1960's
> era tanks and WWII converted warships.

Interesting point--one notes this sort of thing in a lot of third-world
militaries.  Also the perponderance of "Elite" formations (Ever counted
the number of types of so-called "elites" in the Iraqi Army?  Starting
with the Brigade Commando companies, and going to the Republican Guard
Special Forces Brigades) where they try to concentrate any troops with
any quality whatsoever.

> As far as getting into space goes, are the ships registered to those
planets?
> Are they built there? Who crews them? All natives? Go out in the field
and get

Yes, some of them, and yes.  At least New Rihyad probably has space
craft-building facilities.

> scenario generator. I hope you at least looked at my input for the IF
since
> you didn't post anything in return to the idea I had. Thanks, David

I'm going with wheeled/tracked for the Emirate's units, with more GEV
for the IFLF (I love that acronym, pronounced "If-Lif"), and Grav for
the best units.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, structure of the NAC