Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC

Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 06:32:09 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:53:53 -0500, Laserlight <laserlight@cwix.com>
wrote:

>This is off topic, but just as we wouldn't casually assume "all Moslems
(or
>"college students" or "Canadians" or other group of your choice) are
>extremist fanatics", let's not  casually apply this blanket description
>either.  The national news media does, I realize, but that doesn't make
it
>valid, just oft-repeated.

Actually, I sort of disagree with this.

I agree if what you are talking about is the term "Christian" or
"Southern
Baptist" or what have you. I have a very close friend who lives in
Mississippi
and she's a Southern Baptist, but not at all an extremist (and not even
right
wing).

However, the term "religious right" is a fabricated term that, by
definition,
means right wing Christians with extermist leanings.

I agree, not all Christians are right wing. In fact, not all
conservative
Christians fit into what has been commonly termed "the religious right."
The
term has specific conotations and is, surprisingly, less emotionally
charged
than similar terms used for groups outside of the US (look at the terms
given
to similar conservative Jews in Israel).

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com

Prev: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC