Prev: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC Next: Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC

Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:09:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] IF Ground Units

> << Ah, but roads are REALLY expensive to build & maintain, and grav
vehicles
>  will float off the sand ( or other terrain).
>
>   >>
> Ahhhh...but dirt roads often come from animal drawn vehicles and they
require
> even less maintenance so your civ pop on a backwater world would use
them
> frequently....thus wheeled would have lots of roads....look at SE asia

Yeah?  You want to drive a panzer down one of these?  Really?  Even
better,
how about an armor transporter?  My parents live on what was until
recently
a dirt road, but it took a lot of work to convert it from "cattle path"
"dirt road."

>....Grav
> still too technical for major use by these people

They have starships, or they wouldn't be here in the first place.  I
grant
you the citizen may well have camel trails to follow, but probably a GEV
or
grav bus as well.  And the military will probably have a fairly high
proportion of the technical people ("Join the Army, learn a career").  I
can't see wheeled or tracked military vehicles anywhere that has the
ability to produce GEV or above, unless there are special terrain
considerations or there is a road net already in place.

Prev: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC Next: Re: [OT] Re: structure of the NAC