Prev: Re: [FT] suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers? Next: Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems

[FT] The Sa'Vasku

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 08:54:23 PST
Subject: [FT] The Sa'Vasku

     And now, once again, for something Completely Different.

     Never mind the Kra'vak for the moment: what do we do about the
Sa'Vasku?  Don't get me wrong, now--I like the SV rules as they stand,
but they are somewhat…problematic for me.  See, my SV fleet consists of
a LOT of GW Tyrannid ships, most of which are quite small.  The biggest
ships, of which I only have three, are equivalent to heavy cruisers, and

everything else is significantly smaller.  We did a game not all that
long ago that involved 20 or so of my SV ships, and it was Not Good.
Writing orders for 20 ships is, of course, time consuming.  Rolling the
power factors for each ship, allocating them, and THEN writing orders
takes just short of an eternity.  If I want to use all 50 of my SV ships

in a game (as I am planning), I need a different system.  Or I need to
give up sleep.	I figure on trying the different system first.	I
apologize for the length of this post, but I tend to my writing in
intense bursts during my somewhat less than copious free time.	All of
these ideas have been germinating for a while, though.

     What follows is a string of ideas.  I do not have my Fleet Book
with me; otherwise I would attempt to give balanced mass/point costs.
Suggestions will be gratefully received.

**Building Sa'Vasku Ships**
	SV ships are built, more or less, like human ships; various
"nodes"
(systems) are fitted into a hull of a specified mass.  Due to the nature

of the SV, however, there are some differences.
     I: Select mass.
     II: Subtract x% of mass, designated as "Brain".  This takes the
place of human Firecons, among other functions.
     III: Subtract y% of mass, designated as the ship's "Heart".  This
is the organ that absorbs/manipulates energy, and takes the place of
human screens, again among other functions.
     IV: Add armor, if desired.  Organic armor, being less tough than
the artificial variety, costs half as much, but masses twice as much.
     V: Buy nodes, from the following list (for details of weapon
functions, see below).
	  A: Beam Nodes--just like beam batteries, but lower cost and
higher mass.
	  B: Vipers--a sort of living missile.	A one shot weapon,
crossed off when fired.
	  C: Drone Pods.  You know 'em, you love 'em.
	  D: Implosion Beam Node--a heavy weapon that does damage based
on the mass of the target.
	  E: I need a Name For This--an organic Sandcaster, which
functions as a temporary shield.
	  F: Drive Node.  Like the human system, but with a higher cost.
	  G: Other Stuff, Which I Shall Think Of Eventually.  I am sure
that I am missing something obvious and vital.

**Mechanics**
	The SV use the cinematic movement system, and can spend all of
their
thrust on maneuvering, not just half.

	SV beams function just like human beams, but have an 8" range
band
(Giving Class 3 beams a maximum range of 24").

	Vipers hit like Pulse Torpedoes (I think; I need to look at the
system
again), but are much nastier, due to the cloud of nanites that they
release.  On the turn that it hits a ship, a Viper does 1d6.  On each
subsequent turn, the Viper does 1d6-1 point for each turn that it has
been active.  Therefore, on turn 2, A Viper does 1d6-1, on turn 3 it
does 1d6-2, etc.  If the damage from a Viper roll is ever equal to or
less than zero, then the Viper is spent and does no further damage.

	Implosion beams are weird.  Range is relatively short (12",
maybe), and
the SV players rolls to hit as if firing a normal beam, including
re-rolling sixes.  However, the damage is equal to the beam damage
(totally ignoring shields) times 10% of the target's mass, rounded up.
All damage is applied directly to the hull.  Does this make any sense?
Thought not.
	A SV ship fires an Implosion Beam at a Battleship, with a mass
of 120.
The SV player rolls a 5, which would normally inflict 2 points of
damage.  Instead, the player inflicts 2 times 12 (120 divided by 10)
points.  In other words, 24 points of damage.

	The sandcaster (which needs a Better Name), fires a dense cloud
of
particulate matter, which effectively blocks all beam fire--including
that of the ship that fired it--through certain arcs.  The cloud covers
three arcs--the one through which it is fired, and the two adjacent
arcs.  The cloud is fired at the end of the movement phase, and lasts
until the end of the fire phase.

	The SV do not have shields, but they are able to ABSORB beam
fire.  SV
absorb half of all damage (rounded up) inflicted by beam weapons, up to
a maximum of 10% of their mass, rounded up.  Damage applied to armor may

not be absorbed.  If the SV ship has already absorbed its max, all
further damage is applied normally. Each point gives the SV ship one d6
(an actual, physical d6, hopefully of a distinct and unusual color)
which may be spent in the following manner:
	Added to a beam attack (the die is rolled along with normal
dice).
	Gives one extra point of thrust (the die is returned to the
common
pool).
	Regenerates damage (gives one standard repair roll to any
system, or
restores 1d6 hull points.  Armor may not be regenerated).
	Give an additional 6" range to an Implosion Beam (again, return
the die
to the common pool).

	A SV ship may spend any or all of its dice, allocating as many
dice to
a function as it wishes (so yes, you can add 4d6 to a beam attack,
assuming that you've absorbed enough damage to do so.  Dice may be
stored, but it's probably best to spend 'em while you can.

	SV ships may not be boarded, nor can they launch boarding
parties.

SV ships have two core systems; Heart and Brain, and losing either of
them is Bad.

For the moment, that's it.  How's it look?

John Crimmins
johncrim@hotmail.com

Prev: Re: [FT] suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers? Next: Re: [FT] Other Kra'Vak wepon systems