Prev: Re: Newbie Question: suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers? Next: New Weapon Tech

Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 20:57:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT

At 10:11 03/12/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 12:49 AM 12/3/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>Even today including territorial
>>waters and Antartic region Australia is the 3rd largest area under one
>>government (the big ones are USA and Russia)
>
>Bollocks! Canada is the second largest, China the third, USA is
>number four, which I suppose would put Oz at number five...
>
>You're right about Russia. Damn that place is big!

	In terms of land area you're right. Throw in Antartica and I
think we are
still down. But what I was considering was the amount of ocean that the
UN
recognises as being under Australian control and subject to Australian
law
(we have a LOT of coastline). USA also has a huge area under its nominal
control (Hawaii and the Alutetians give it claim over a large chunk of
water). Both Canada and Australia have major problems defending their
fishing grounds and stopping other people from poaching and over fishing
them. There are also areas that are not fished at all because they are
breeding grounds and are thus potentially very valuable. These then are
resources which are strategically valuable or are potentially valuable.
	Now if the limitations on expoitation are imposed by population
(nobody
there) and finance (no money) whilst considering the Pacific and you
have
something akin to a space empire. Lots and lots of empty space with a
few
dots that you can use scattered about. A lot of it you might have to
defend
because it will be very valuable if and when you get a chance to exploit
it.

>>	I also notice that the OU and FSE don't seem to border each
other. Does
>>this mean the French don't have a Mua Roura Planet for weapons testing
in
>>our backyard?
>
>I wouldn't jump to conclusions. It's not like you border each other
now...

	Got a point there. Still we can beat them in rugby.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: Newbie Question: suitable minis for Centauri escorts & cruisers? Next: New Weapon Tech