Prev: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:21:52 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> > No CFE powered vehicles
>
> and no open vehicles - try driving a jeep in a space suit. oh, hang
on,
> that's been done: it's a lunar rover. still, not exactly a
combat-capable
> vehicle. reduced movement if an open vehicle?

Excuse me?  What makes you think that spacesuits will be as encumbering
in 200 years as they were 30 years ago?  I'd think that these would not
be that much more encumbering than, say, NSL Full body armor.  And even
in sealed vehicles, you ought to be wearing a suit of some
kind--otherwise when the hull is breached, you're screwed.  Most vehicle
crews survive the destruction of their vehicle--we had a looong thread
on US M1s in Desert Storm being rendered combat ineffective, but the
comment was made over and over that no crewman was actually killed (at
least that I can find reference to).

> engagements there. laser weapons are out; DFFGs would have shorter
ranges

Blue-green lasers aren't out.  I'd be using submersibles with torpedos
and Blue-green lasers.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View Next: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)