Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [FT] K'V Hulls

Re: Proposed Kra'Vak Ship Design Charts - Take 4

From: Steven Arrowsmith <arrowjr@u...>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:52:45 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Proposed Kra'Vak Ship Design Charts - Take 4

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> Steven Arrowsmith <<arrowjr@usit.net> wrote:
>

> >Hull Strength;
<snip>
> Why not give them the whole range of possibilities:

<snip>
Ok, I don't have a problem with this..

> >Drives;
>
> 5% for 2 points AND the additional thruster point inherent in K'V
> drives makes this way unbalanced. If you go 5% per two thrust (double
> efficiency) then the point cost must be doubled to balance. For the
> above engines, the point cost should be closer to 5 per mass.
>

> Also, averaging out FTL and Thrust costs when their performance
differs
> so radically lends itself to abuse. Lets say I create a bunch of
> non-FTL ships. I get all the extra advantages of the K'V drive without
> the point cost. I prefer:

Ok, Here is where we are running into the problem. I based this system
upon the Kra'Vak stats listed in the More thrust book. To keep the
Kra'Vak
ships compatible to Human mass type. Some sacrifices had to be made, If
we
go with standard size engines, Kra'Vak ships tend to be almost twice the
mass of equivalent Human design..ie 100 mass Heavy Cruisers. Also, who
said the Kra'Vak used non-FTL ships?

> Choose and fit FTL DRIVES to the ship. If an FTL drive is installed to
> give the ship interstellar capability, it will require 10% of the
total
> MASS.
>
> POINT COST = 2 per MASS
>

> Choose THRUST FACTOR for the ship's main drives. These drives use up
> MASS	at the rate of 5% of the total ship MASS per thrust factor. K'V
> drives produce thruster points equal to their thrust rating.
>
> POINT COST = 3 per MASS

Again to heavy, If we incress Railguns and ScatterGuns, we must drop
something someware..

> >Armour & Screens:
>
> 2 points per 1 mass is twice as efficient, so the point cost should be
> 2 for balance
> >   Fire Con: 1 mass	6 points.
>
> What's your justification for making this more expensive for K'V? Does
> it do something more?

Try to get the Kra'Vak points to be around 1.5 greater than the Huamn
equivalent ship class.

> [snip]
>

> >*  Scatterpacks - Anti-fighter single-shot weapons, can not be used
> for
>
> >Anti-ship combat. Range of 6", roll one die and the score is number
> of
>
> >fighters killed.
>

> I actually like the fact that the K'V are shot on fighter defence.
> Though this does remedy the situation, I prefer the challenge and feel
> of the old K'V needing to be very carefull how they used their SGs

So do I..

> >** Scatterguns - Anti-ship/anti-fighter single shot weapon -
> Anti-ship
>
> >mode, range 12", roll 1 die = damage. See Scatterpacks for
> anti-fighter
>
> >mode.
>

> I'd be inclined to combine the two above weapons into one "new SG"

I was just trying to please the people who want to jack the mass of the
scatterguns too high.. Remember that 4 to 10 mass Scouts and Couriers
need
to be able to carry them.

> Schoon

This system can balance out Kra'Vak ships from a 10 Mass Scout to 112
mass
Battleship. I doubled the mass of the examples given in Most Thrust, to
come up with their Fleet Book equivalents. After coming up with the
target
mass, it just took some time to customized the internal equipment to
fill
in the target mass. I am open to any suggestions, that will keep the
Kra'Vak ships compatible to their Human counterparts.

Steven Arrowsmith

			       Steven Arrowsmith
			  www.public.usit.net/arrowjr
			     steven@arrowsmith.net
			      dredd@quake.usit.net
_______

		    I Would Rather live a Lie, Thinking I Can.
			 Than know The Truth That I Can't
_______

Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: Re: [FT] K'V Hulls