Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs (RETRACTION) Next: re: Fuel Chat

Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:14:46 +0100
Subject: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage

Charles Choukalos  wrote:

> After Playing around with SML's some over the past couple o'weeks, I
came
> to several solutions and decided to create some missle ships to
anhilate
> my friends with.  Lets just say that your opponents need a lot o'speed
and/or
> a lot more pdaf's then are typical in the fleet book to survive.

If they stick to fleet book designs, they'll be in trouble unless they
go
heavy on fighters or escort ships - Furious- or Radetzky-class CEs, the
Minerva/A FFE or the soon-to-be-launched Tacoma/A FHE are all decent
fleet defence units which tend to cause difficulties for SM-heavy
forces.
A carrier force will eat you for dinner unless you bring fighters or
escort ships of your own, since none of these designs have any ADFC and
all are rather brittle.

I do expect you to win the first battle, but after that I'd expect you
Die more often than you Annihilate Quickly :-/

> Free Cal Tex Ships/Ideas
> ------------------------
>
> Theory:
>
>	  SML's need to be massed in one turn to be effective.

Yes.

>	  4 pdaf's remove 1 SML launched.

Yes, more or less. Only you shouldn't launch the SML :-) You launch
Salvo
Missiles (SMs) from the Salvo Missile Launcher (SML) or Salvo Missile
Rack (SMR), but I don't think you really want to throw the entire
launcher at the enemy (unless you've emptied the magazines, of course
;-)

>	  2 Escorting Fighters remove 1 SML launched.

Wrong. 9 screening Standard fighters or 6 screening Interceptors negate
one SM salvo.

>	  Don't worry about endurance, Anhilate Quickly or Die.

Well... that's one way to put it <g>

>	  Key:	Overwhelm Defences, Take out opposition before they can
>		fire their beam batteries, otherwise you're toast

Might be difficult to take the enemy out before he can fire Class-3
batteries at you unless you bring some SM/ER, though :-/

> Missle Ships
> ---------------------
> Monsune Class Battleship
> hull 120: weak (24 dp)
> ftl
> thrust - 2
> weapons (72)
> 7*sml(3*fh,2*rs,2*ls)
> 3*magazines(12 space(6),2*8 space(4))

I assume the 12-space Mg linked to the forward 3 launchers and the
smaller ones to the side batteries?

> 6*armor
> screen-1
> 3*pds
> 2*firecon
> 3*class-2 beams(fh,rs,ls)
>
> tmf: 120 cost: 428

OK.

> ---------------------
> Kenedy Class Heavy Missle Cruiser
>
> tmf: 90 cost: 314

Illegal design, see my other post for comments. Weapon arcs?

> Templer class Missle Cruiser
> hull 60: weak (12 dp)
> ftl
> thrust - 4
> weapons:
> 4*SML
> SML magazine ( 16 space - 8 loads )
> firecon
> 1 class-1 beam (360)
>
> tmf: 60 cost: 211

Weapon arcs for the SML?

> Lancer class light Missle Cruiser
> hull 48: weak(10 dp)
> ftl
> thrust - 4
> weapons (23)
> 1*firecon
> 1*pdaf
> 3*armor
> 4*smr (normal loads)
> 1*class-2 beam(fh)
>
> tmf: 48 cost: 165

Weapon arcs for the SMR?

> ---------------------
> Minerva Class Heavy Missle Destroyer
> hull 40: weak(8 dp)
> ftl
> thrust - 4
> weapons (20)
> 2*sml
> 8 space magazine(4 std loads)
> 1*firecon
> 1*pdaf
> class-1 beam
> 3*armor
>
> tmf:40  cost: 158

I get the cost to 148 pts, but otherwise OK. Weapon arcs for the SML?

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs (RETRACTION) Next: re: Fuel Chat