Prev: Loactions of Stars (was RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT) Next: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage

Re: FTFB Turn Arcs (RETRACTION)

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:07:03 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: FTFB Turn Arcs (RETRACTION)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Ground Zero Games wrote:
> Tom's interesting answer (most snipped above for brevity) has pretty
well
> summed up why we made the FB different from the EFSB in the turning
rules.

that's 'interesting' spelled W-R-O-N-G ...

> Without going into the math (most of which I've forgotten since school
> anyway) we figured that given drives/thrusters of a similar power
relative
> to the mass of the ship (which is what the Thrust rating in FT is,
after
> all - Thrust-2 drives on a Mass 100 ship are ten times as big/powerful
as
> Thrust-2 drives on a Mass 10 ship) then any ship will be able to
rotate
> and/or push at  the same rate.

yes, this is right - my assertion that big ships turn faster turns out
be utterly without foundation. turning speed is dependent purely on
thrust-to-mass ratio, as Jon states. my apologies.

Tom

Prev: Loactions of Stars (was RE: [FT] Size of "Countries" in FT) Next: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage