Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: FTFB General Question

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:07:18 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

At 09:37 AM 11/25/98 -0800, you wrote:
>My concept of the 'K' railgun.
>
>The 'K' rail gun is a device that throws a stream of small dense
>'BBs' across the path of the target ship.

One point in favor of larger projectiles; small caliber HiVeloc rounds
tend
to vaporize on impact.	We use a layer of metal foil to protect
satellites
and space stations against micrometeors today.	Tanks in WWII used thin
metal plates and spacers to deflect small caliber AP rounds.  A similar
defense would seem to work against your swarm of pellets idea, while a
large caliber round would be more like to blow through one side of the
ship
and out the other.

Jeff

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: FTFB General Question