Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [GZG-L]

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: John and Roxanne Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:37:47 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Tom Sullivan wrote:

> >Perhaps before we get too far along any one trail for our K'V weapons
> >discussion, we should establish some general goals. These are the one
> that
> >I think are important:
> >
> >1) The "To-Hit" mechanic should reflect a projectile flavor. In my
> eyes,
> >that means performance should be relatively constant out to a given
> range
> >and then drop off quickly.
> >
> >2) Damage should be constant, without regard to range.
> >
> >3) Firing arcs should be very limited to preserve the K'V "feel."
>
> Agreed, all three.
>
> >4) Mass should be relatively low, and point cost should be relatively
> high.
>
> Agree with the point cost, but not with the mass.  After all, you have
> everything that a beam battery has, plus ammo!  And you have to throw
> *lot* of metal around to hit anything at these distances.
>
> >Please refute these if you don't agree; they're just a starting
point.
> Once
> >we agree on some goals, then we can get down to the nitty-gritty of
the
> >specific mechanics to achieve them.
>
> Where's the chaos in that?
>
> >Schoon
> >

> Tom Sullivan

Hi All,
     Tom has a very valid point in what he is saying.

My concept of the 'K' railgun.

    The 'K' rail gun is a device that throws a stream of small dense
'BBs' across the path of the target ship.   (thus the 'swiss cheese'
comments in the rules)	 The primary difference between each of the
three types is the addition of power storage/charging units on the
larger railguns.
Type 1 = railgun + charger
Type 2 = railgun + charger + charger
Type 3 = railgun + charger + charger + charger
The increased damage function of the guns is due to the following shot
being more compact (shot pattern) and of increased accuracy due to the
tracking of the preceding shot placement.

Now this is all PSB, but it works for me.

The 'garbage can' projectile concept would require sensors far superior
to the 'standard' sensors of the Kra'Vak.
(Now to scuttle my own concept:
If the 'garbage can' was similar to a SML projectile, I.E. a proximity
device,
the sensors do not need to be as good, but the damage should be more
varied.)

     At one point in time, I started to look at the possibility of
inverting
the 'to hit' scale and decreasing damage vs range.  (like  a shotgun
pattern)
At short range: big 'to hit' number and big damage.
At long rang  : small 'to hit' number and small damage.
This concept offsets the scattergun short range abilities.(in Part)

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [GZG-L]