Prev: Re: [OT][WWII] Maus debate Next: I Bow to the Knowledgable

Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:25:00 +1300
Subject: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@idirect.com> wrote:
>AT artillery could be of several types:
>
>Cluster Munitions - covering area with bomblets, in the 2xd12 damage
range.
> You could always just say they use more powerful explosives, and use
>3xd12...  it's a game, right??
    See DSII's MAK and HEF artillery options. MAK: Multiple Armour
Killer.
HEF: High Explosive Fragmentation.

>Guided single rounds - artillery shell is lobbed into the area where
armour
>may be found.	AI in shell scans using radar and thermal imaging, picks
>target, and shell is guided in, with terminal rocket assist for extra
>penetration.  A present day 105mm or 155mm artillery shell, or 120mm
will
>nuke a tank if it lands on the top deck - though this is extremely
unlikely
>because of accuracy issues.  If you have guided munitions with
penetrator
>and rocket assist in addition to the explosive warhead, the tank is
toast -
>accurately.  And you can justify using 3 or 4xd12 damage.  Guided
mortar
>rounds exist now, and I think guided artillery rounds exist too.
    Guided mortar rounds: Strix. Guided artillery rounds: Copper Head.
Copper Head is laser designated. See my site for DSII rules for these
weapons.
    There are also the "skeet" (SADARM) artillery rounds which are
reasonably
simulated with DSII's MAK ammunition.

>In game terms, guided artillery could be treated like a direct fire
shot,
>say from a missile.  He gets jamming/ECM if he has them, you get a
guidance
>system roll.  Limit it by saying you need to spot from an observer or
>something.  Maybe have the system be affected by EW, so if the target
side
>has an EW trooper, they can jam the guidance system???
    See my site for DSII artillery firing GMS and indirectly fired GMS.

>How about having
>laser designated artillery - you have a model on your side with a laser
>designator (like the New Anglian trooper kneeling with one), and if you
can
>designate the tank (successfully "hit" it getting "a lock") you then
can
>fire artillery shells that are guided the same way air dropped laser
guided
>bombs are.
	See my site for DSII laser-designated GMS downgrades rules.

>The USAF supposedly had some success killing Iraqi tanks with
>750lb laser guided bombs dropped from F16's during the Gulf War - this
is
>the same principle.
    Tom Clancy's book, Fighter Wing, page 58, quotes a Col. John A.
Warden:
    'This sort of thing led Buster Glosson to come up with "tank
plinking",
where we used small LGBs (Laser Guided Bombs) to destroy armoured
vehicles.
The common wisdom was that it was ridiculous to use an expensive
[$12,000]
precision LGB against a tank. But when you send four planes out with
four
bombs each and they come back with an average of twelve kills, that's
cheap.'
    I think a 75% success rate is pretty good.

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [OT][WWII] Maus debate Next: I Bow to the Knowledgable