Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Terrorist Factories Next: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

Re: Tank Riders {SG2]

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:06:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Tank Riders {SG2]

	Howdy!

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Well, I don't know about that. I seem to recall having seen
> depictions of tanks streaming through Ukrainian steppes with riders
> aboard INTO combat... now I'm sure they dismount once shots are fired
> or they reach a position where they know they can see the enemy. But
> it moves your APC less infantry around a hell of a lot quicker than
> walking. And keeps them with the tanks, at least to start with. Of
> course, those depictions may be fanciful, but are based off of some
> historical precedent.

	There is some great footage of tank riders "going into combat".
These are re-enactment scenes shotwell after Kursk and and Second Karkov
offensive.  Loza (in his book "Commanding the Red Army's Tanks") has
some
great anectdotes about infantry riding tanks.

	You may be right, though.  Just because it shouldn't be done
doesn't mean it *wasn't* done.	:)

> It would be risky to do it in combat, and I think the rules I propose
> would penalize it.... if every round that hit your tank also probalby
> hit the infantry.... and if you could fire at the infantry anyway...

	Armour and debris spaulling were big concerns, as well as
ricochets.  Ouch!

> I wouldn't recommend it once the shooting started lest ye write off
> your units with ease. OTOH, I'll consider using it tactically if it
> offers my leg infantry some manoevre potential.

	True.

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Terrorist Factories Next: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules