Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules (Longish) Next: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:55:12 -0500
Subject: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Cluster Munitions - covering area with bomblets, in the 2xd12 damage
range.

Good.

> Guided single rounds - artillery shell is lobbed into the area where
armour
> may be found.  AI in shell scans using radar and thermal imaging,
picks
> target, and shell is guided in, with terminal rocket assist for extra
> penetration.	A present day 105mm or 155mm artillery shell, or 120mm
will
> nuke a tank if it lands on the top deck - though this is extremely
unlikely
> because of accuracy issues.  If you have guided munitions with
penetrator
> and rocket assist in addition to the explosive warhead, the tank is
toast -
> accurately.  And you can justify using 3 or 4xd12 damage.  Guided
mortar
> rounds exist now, and I think guided artillery rounds exist too.

Yes. I think you'll find that they develop ones that they fire
'roughly' into their target area, and let the onboard pattern
recognition stuff identify the AFV to destroy (probably IFF stuff
too).

> In game terms, guided artillery could be treated like a direct fire
shot,
> say from a missile.  He gets jamming/ECM if he has them, you get a
guidance
> system roll.	Limit it by saying you need to spot from an observer or
> something.

I'd do that at certain tech levels. As they got better, their onboard
stuff might make them closer to a fast approach slightly more
ballistic missile. They could pick their target and nuke it without
an observer - but god help you if your IFF was off....

  Maybe have the system be affected by EW, so if the target side
> has an EW trooper, they can jam the guidance system???   How about
having
> laser designated artillery - you have a model on your side with a
laser
> designator (like the New Anglian trooper kneeling with one), and if
you can
> designate the tank (successfully "hit" it getting "a lock") you then
can
> fire artillery shells that are guided the same way air dropped laser
guided
> bombs are.

Makes good sense.

> I read about the "tungsten rods dropped from orbit" idea sometime in
the
> past as well.  It was supposed to be for taking out battalions or
brigades
> at a time though, and the rods were not guided at each vehicle, only
to an
> area on the battlefield.  There would be enough kinetic energy being
> converted to heat that tanks would melt, troops would vapourize, etc
etc.
> Would require a BIG lifting rocket, though, to get the thing into
orbit.
> If I remember correctly, the rods were 6 feet long (?) and had a basic
> guidance system with fins on the back end.  I think this idea would be
more
> applicable to DS than SG - on the SG scale it would destroy the entire
table.

In RL, they were actually guided. And they did target individual
tanks - you dropped one rod and it self guided. It could penetrate
ANY roof armour.

But dropping a whole satellite load on a region would be obsence...
and probably very deadly to the people living there..... especially
if they had some sort of an explosive tip... or used a nuke....
(argh).

But yes, that would be overload. Single rods called onto an SG board
would be powerful (multi turn delay) but not impossible. An area
bombardment would be pointless.....
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules (Longish) Next: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]