Prev: Re: GEV capabilities Next: Autumn Assault 98 Post-Event Blurb

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:22:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

Chris spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Were you there, John, and did you see it?  If not, you cannot proclaim
your
> sources to be absolutely correct in all aspects.

Even then, your own involvement makes your view suspect. No human has
total awareness, and stress has strange ways to affect memory. Even
participants can't be counted on - this is a known fact in police
work and in historical recountings.

  Question your sources like
> you question those of the person you disagree with.  Ten people in the
same
> room, witnessing the same crime, will always result in ten different
> stories.

Someone (I don't know who), said that in any situation there are
three sides - your side, my side, and the truth. This aphorism points
out that neither side will have 'the truth'. It is, perhaps,
ephemeral and inaccessable. The best one can hope for is, by having a
number of independent but agreeing sources, come up with a plausible
accounting - but to call it the TRUTH is really stretching things.

(In a similar vein this has went pretty far OT, and if JW was
watching, he'd be telling us so).

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: GEV capabilities Next: Autumn Assault 98 Post-Event Blurb