Prev: Re: [ANN] Armageddon Outfitter now online Next: Gulf War P**sing Match

Re: Tank Riders {SG2]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:19:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Tank Riders {SG2]

Kenneth spake thusly upon matters weighty:

>	Howdy!
>
> On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> > Andrew spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> > >	  Another use for wasted space is to carry an infantry team on
the rear of
> > > the tank - much like the Soviets did in WWII. I think the tank
riders were
> > > called "tank desant"? infantry.
> >
> > My idea for this went something like (for Stargrunt):
>
> <snip>
>
>	Nice rules.  However, if infantry are riding tanks anywhere NEAR
> battle, something is horribly wrong...

Well, I don't know about that. I seem to recall having seen
depictions of tanks streaming through Ukrainian steppes with riders
aboard INTO combat... now I'm sure they dismount once shots are fired
or they reach a position where they know they can see the enemy. But
it moves your APC less infantry around a hell of a lot quicker than
walking. And keeps them with the tanks, at least to start with. Of
course, those depictions may be fanciful, but are based off of some
historical precedent.

It would be risky to do it in combat, and I think the rules I propose
would penalize it.... if every round that hit your tank also probalby
hit the infantry.... and if you could fire at the infantry anyway...

(There should have been a 1 DS negative modifier on range die for
defence for the riders versus infantry firing AT the riders.... they
are part of a larger target with nowhere to go but off.....)

I wouldn't recommend it once the shooting started lest ye write off
your units with ease. OTOH, I'll consider using it tactically if it
offers my leg infantry some manoevre potential.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [ANN] Armageddon Outfitter now online Next: Gulf War P**sing Match