Prev: RE: Ogres/Mecha Next: RE: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare)

Re: Gurkhas was:[SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:40:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Gurkhas was:[SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

	Howdy!

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Tony Wilkinson wrote:

>	One of my familys friends was a vet of Tobruk. Apparently a unit
of
> Gurkhas were there for at least part of the siege and they were great
> trench raiders. The worst part about them though was that if you felt
> hand on your neck at night you had to remain still, if you struggled
you
> must be German. In those days Commonwealth troops had metal badges on
their
> collars either national symbol or service badge. What the Gurkhas were
> doing was feeling for the badge. One night this bloke was on sentry
duty
> when he felt a hand at his neck. This hand felt his badge (Aus Army
rising
> sun symbol) and a quiet voice said "Oh, hello Aussie" and disappeared.

	I've read/heard the same thing concerning Gurkhas and shoe
laces.
The Gurkhas would crawl around at night, feeling the shoes of
unidentified
people.  The Germans laced their boots a different way than the
Commonwealth forces.  If they felt that your boots were laced the wrong
way...

	All of these stories (and there are LOTS of them) seem a bit
light
urban/combat legends... :)

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: RE: Ogres/Mecha Next: RE: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare)