Prev: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare Next: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare

Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:14:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 ScottSaylo@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/4/98 4:40:00 PM EST, burger00@camosun.bc.ca
writes:

> << -- http://www.geocities.com/area51/nebula/9774 -- gaming & misc
webpage --

> Don't despise the toy racks, ROCO's do not come cheap - don't chop'em
up when
> you might need them for modern era gaming. A bag of cheap plastic
soldiers
> (54mm) usually comes with several vehicles which can be turned into SF
gaming
> sculptures with a little baling wire and imagination.

I'm not going to bash toy racks - the truck I've got is actually a
fairly
nice model, and if I can find other stuff cheaper than the Roco
Minitanks,
that's wonderful - I can spend more money on figures...I don't do modern
gaming, so saving them for moderns isn't an issue. The only other
problem
is that the local hobby store takes forever to get any custom orders
in...

I've been attempting a bit of scratch-building of vehicles, from styrene
(plastic) shapes & left-over kit & Minitank bits, with mixed success. My
best model is an enormous armoured platoon lander for 15mm - the beast
is
capable of landing four of the big IFVs, or an entire company of leg
troopers...I went overboard designing and building the beast, but it is
spectacular - 13 inches wingspan, 15 inches long...

My other scratchbuilds have been less successful - a recon jeep/FAV that
never got finished, a tracked cargo vehicle that's still only 3/4 done,
and a wheeled APC that never got beyond the drawings-and-test-model
stage...I'm going to look into sculpting and resin casting one of these
days, but not really soon.

One idea I've got for MBTs is to buy two kits of similar tanks - say, a
Leopard & one of the modern Brit tanks - and switch the turrets around,
get different looking tanks.

Anyone else done any scratchbuilding or kitbashing (combining/modifying
kits)?

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/area51/nebula/9775/ --DS2/SG2/gaming &
misc--

Prev: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare Next: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare