Prev: Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin@e...>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:41:24 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, John M. Atkinson wrote:

> I'd like to see 'em try.  And if it happened, whoever sent a single
> Basil II out by it's lonesome would be court-martialed.  Tanks always

Yes, Klibs without Skoots are dead Klibs:)  But still, you never know
when
this kind of unlikely situation might happen.  Even though your imperial
tagmatic Roman-wannabes are probably taught from birth to cooperate with
the infantry, you never know when a bad or just plain misguided egg
might
just fall through the system.  The situation may just happen through
plain bad luck...  Still this is about the only way to equalize the two
sides for a game though...

> operate in mutually supporting combined-arms teams.  But since you
> mention it, there are a couple of problems with low-techers trying to
> knock off tanks.  I mean, how would they go about doing it?  I'm
willing
> to risk my life trying to satchel-charge a modern vehicle (and have in
> exercises), but a grav tank with an 360 degree coverage with it's
> thermal imaging, from sensors imbedded in the skin all over the tank?
> And an AI to sort out the resulting flood of information.  Then we get
> into factors like computor-controlled APFCs and all of a sudden it's
not
> that much fun anymore.

Oh, certainly like I said, the idea is that the low-techers have some
improvized combination weapons.  DFFG sachel charges, DFFG
warhead-on-a-stick, etc.  Maybe even the odd buzzbomb or two.  Remember,
lot of these weapons are probably going to be pretty rugged,
self-containing, and available to anyone willing to pay.  Also to the
super-sensors, it's incredible the kind of loop holes that you can run
into with something that's supposedly perfect on paper, especially when
the word "computer" is involved :)

-----

Even the engineers are not *this* depraved.  This must be the work of
the
Med. students.

						- A friend of mine

-----

Prev: Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown