Prev: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII Next: RE: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:39:17 +0100
Subject: Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> Jeff Lyon wrote:
> > <snip FMA-style EW rules>
> > Uh, how about we stick to D6 for Full Thrust and leave FMA to other
games?

> too late! doesn't MT use FMA rules somewhere?

No. Nor does the FB. MT uses basic, enhanced and superior sensors, but
there's no FMA mechanics (opposed die rolls, die type shifts etc)
involved - just D6.rolls with or without modifiers.

> anyway, the FMA system is great.

FMA target lock-on procedures take an awful lot of time even in small
engagments. The biggest strength of Full Thrust is that large engagments
can be fought out in a reasonable amount of time (less than a single
evening) - using FMA targetting reduces this strength a huge lot.

This is the reason I prefer Epic 40K for large ground battles (50-150
vehicles per side plus infantry; we don't go bigger because we don't
have
enough models...) rather than DSII - E40K plays swiftly. For smaller
battles, I prefer DSII - I like the level of detail it provides - but it
is too slow to use for large battles. DSII is, of course, an FMA system.

> Psychic Tom predicts that full thrust II will use FMA.

Full Thrust II was published in 1992 (check the front cover of your
rulebook). It completely lacks any trace of FMA mechanics. I have strong
indications that Jon T. thinks of it as the "true FT2" :-/

The FB is "FT2.5" - halfway to FT3.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII Next: RE: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier