Prev: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion Next: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:21:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [sg2] Non-lethal/riot weapons

Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I know this topic has been kicked around a bit, in the past while, as
> remember someone (no idea who) saying they had non-lethal/riot wpn
rules
> in the 'very very rough draft' stage of writing. Just wondering if
those
> had progressed at all, or if anyone else had any interesting ideas...

Me, and they are mostly done except I haven't been able to get the
Mob Tactics part done. If I forget that, I can probably release
immediately.

> I've also read, in the past, of (hypothetical) non-lethal area denial
> weaponry - instead of mines, you spread really, really sticky goo to
trap people and
> vehicles, or really slippery stuff to slow people down, make them
crash,
> etc. There was, I think, also talk of things (chemicals, bacteria,
> something) that ate rubber quickly - your jeep drives through stuff
like
> this, and 2 klicks down the road your tires and hoses collapse into
> powder...Actually, to simulate this in SG, have 'mines' with
> rubber/plastic eating ability. All 'attacks' count as
suspension/mobility
> kills, for all wheeled, most tracked and some GEV vehicles.

I have some rules for these in there.

> (I recall reading, somewhere, of Hungarians, during the 1956 Soviet
> invasion, putting soap on paved roads to destroy traction for all
sorts of
> vehicles, including tanks. This strikes me as a bit unlikely, but you
> never know. Anyone else heard this one, or can confirm/deny it?)

Don't know. I went on an advanced driver training course by Labatt's
and they used a Dupont clear polymer 'snot' as they called it but it
was so slippery your vehicle seemed like it was on glare ice on a
parking lot. One small barrell would probably cover an area about
100x50 ft.  (30mx20m maybe).

Brian, if you want the non-lethal weapons sent directly to you, let
me know. Mail me offlist.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion Next: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion