Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics Next: Re: [erm] space mirrors

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 23:30:55 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

Heres a couple of ideas for SOF insertion/extraction ships that I had

Mass: 38
Hull: 2
Thrust: 8
Hanger bay: 2 mass
Troop space: 4 mass
Cloak

Cost: 228 points

Mass: 50
Hull: 2
Thrust: 6
Hanger bay: 5 mass
Troop Space: 4 mass
Cloak
Ortillery system

Cost: 300 points

	In both of the above cases I was thinking insertion by orbital
drop.
	As for an extraction system this is going to sound totally nuts.
Somewhere
sometime ago I read of some bloke (a pom I think) who was making
inflatable
planes! They don't go too fast obviously. So here is the idea. Your SOF
team drops in with an inflatable glider in a backpack. When they get to
the
extraction site they inflate the glider, send a cable up on a balloon
and
climb in. The extraction shuttle comes down and snags the cable and
huals
the glider in once the glider is airbourne. If your SOF teams is wearing
PA
you are going to need some serious reinforcing of the glider to make it
all
work. A bungee cord on the glider instead of a solid cable will ease
some
the acceleration problems.
	Just a thought.

	Tony.