Prev: RE: [Club] GZGmgc Next: Re: Medics in SG2

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:15:36 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

Rob Paul wrote:

> Why not drop the hull strength a bit, as you're relying on the cloak
for
> protection?  Also, as she can't expect to survive a fighter attack in
the

Because that's not a refit of a reliable and plentiful hull, but a
special-built ship.

> open, is the PDS really worth it?  That would free enough space for a
> slightly larger troop complement.

I figured it's more for psychological reasons than otherwise.  No one
likes flying a sitting duck, and even the best planned SF raids go wrong
sometimes.  The weapons fit is intended to blast picket ships (Corvette
size, often enough) that get too close for comfort prior to fleeing.

> Then again, with a weak hull, the 5 free mass could go on another
couple of
> PDS (or armour) and an Ortillery system, so that the ship could e.g.
decloak
> at a prearranged time and receive targeting data from the SF team,
perhaps

If I had a weak hull I couldn't decloak in the face of the enemy,
either.

> in support of a drop on a planetary defence site, as recently
discussed.

Oh, now for raids on a PDC I wouldn't use this ship.  I'd use another
design I'm considering.  This one is to insert teams to do recon and
coordinate with local resistance groups.

John

Prev: RE: [Club] GZGmgc Next: Re: Medics in SG2