Prev: Re: STL travel Next: [FT] Counter Railgun techniques....

Re: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers)

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:25:31 -0800
Subject: Re: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers)

> >Or you can ignore hidden units and jamming entirely because all =
> >participants
> >are SO advanced... This gives you an actual reason for no hidden
> units on a
> >battlefield! Modern battlefields may start to look like those "I know
>
> >everything possible" wargames...!

I disagree with this approach. Just like physics, almost every military
development eventually illicits an equally potent counter-development.
There are already advancements in place and underway to help hide
equipment and personnel (that I can't go into). I believe in the future
we will see advacned countermeasures more or less keeping pace with
surveillance and target acquisition.

Advanced chameleon-like adaptive camouflage, IR and heat dampening,
stealth materials and designs, so on and so forth. Combine that with
effective communications and acquisition, signal jamming, meaconing and
other "operational" techniques,and we'll still have cat and mouse to
some extent. (Given equal tech level forces).

Humans have this annoying habit. They like to survive. So that drives
them to find out new ways to remain so.

Los

Prev: Re: STL travel Next: [FT] Counter Railgun techniques....