Prev: Re: What the hell is this? Re: [fh] nac vexilliology Next: Re: [DSII] [Tech] Battlefield Awareness (Was: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers)

Re: STL travel

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:15:54 -0700
Subject: Re: STL travel

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:00:42   John Bennett wrote:
>Dangerous stuff, palaying around in your head, you might find a Gobo in

Greta Gobo?

>>Because I like the way ships manoeuvre in FT, I've been playing around
in
>my
>>head with whether there could be any explanation for ships moving in
this
>non-
>>Newtonian way.
>>Has anyone else thought about this? Any better explanations?

Well, I hadn't heretofore, but what if...

<Extreme PSB Mode>

Say that 'cinematic' movement is some manner of grav drive that 'pushes'
against the gravity field of nearby objects in much the same way that a
wing 'pushes' against an atmosphere. This would make swooping turns in
space possible and logical within a sun's gravity well.

However, in the fringes of a system or in deep space, there wouldn't be
a solar gravity field to react against, leaving only Newtonian thrusters
for maneuver.

This allows room for both systems in the same universe, and might force
'compromise' ship designs depending on how far from a solar gravity well
operations were likely to occur at.

</Extreme PSB Mode>

Practical? Useful? Probably not, but it's more interesting than work at
the moment. :)

>>Also: should static targets be easier to hit than moving ones?

Only if you're playing on carpet and without fabric softner.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums