Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design and UN generally Next: GZG Player Location Pages (was: Looking for players)

STL travel

From: PeteSlade@a...
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:32:10 EST
Subject: STL travel

Because I like the way ships manoeuvre in FT, I've been playing around
in my
head with whether there could be any explanation for ships moving in
this non-
Newtonian way.

I've vaguely had an idea that even when moving on the table the ships
are
traveling at a significant fraction of light speed, by having their FTL
drives
on the verge of commiting them to FTL.	In effect they could be drilling
hole in the real space directly in front of them, and they are
continually
moving into a hole that moves ahead of them.  This could explain why
they
can't just turn sideways/backwards - they're not really moving fast,
they're
just falling into a `hole' in front of them.  Assuming the `hole' is
slightly
larger than the ship, this would allow for a small degree of turn from
straight ahead being possible - hence the turning arcs we are familiar
with in
FT.

Has anyone else thought about this? Any better explanations?

Also: should static targets be easier to hit than moving ones?

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design and UN generally Next: GZG Player Location Pages (was: Looking for players)