Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN

Re: [DS and SG] Snipers... was other stuff....

From: Jon Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:47:43 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Snipers... was other stuff....

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> > 2) Snipers got killed a lot. (I'm looking up the figures for John A
-
> > I think there were few if any Sniper casualties in Vietnam).
>
> Of course, on the Eastern Front in WWII where both sides had serious
> sniper programs (You think that 13mm Soviet thing was being hauled
> around to knock out King Tigers?) and serious counter-sniper doctrine,
> things were a bit different.	When the penalty for being spotted is
> either artillery on your head or the other side's sniper popping you,
> it's a whole different ball game compared to fighting Viet Cong who
> wouldn't have been able to hit you even if they did know where you
were.

> John M. Atkinson

There are some historical accounts of the sniper comabt during the
Battle of Stalingrad in the book by William Craig, Enemy at the
Gates.	Given the urban environment and the duration of the conflict
in Stalingrad, snipers did play a more significant role in the action.
it was not uncommon that snipers and counter snipers would fight
each other, typically with a single shot deciding the outcome.

Jon

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: [FT] Point value for the NAC Valley Forge SDN