Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design

(OT) Was Re: UN ship design

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:16:47 +0100
Subject: (OT) Was Re: UN ship design

John Atkinson wrote:

> > the rule for impfor or whatever it was called in sarajevo was that
three
> > shots could be fired back if a sniper fired one shot at the un.
french
> > troops quickly took advantage of a loophole in the orders and, when
shot
> > at with an AK47, fired three rounds back from their IFV's 30mm ...
>
> Nobody told the Danes.  Their reaction to sniper fire was 31 rounds of
> 105mm from a Leopard I.  That was also the LAST time anyone shot at
> them.

Um. Well... if you're thinking of the incident that earned them the
nickname "Nordblast", the "sniper fire" they responded to consisted of
anti-tank missiles fired at a couple of Swedish-crewed APCs. Fortunately
for the APC crews, the armour of those vehicles was so thin that the
missiles didn't explode in the crew compartment - in one of the two
vehicles hit the missile went in through one wall and out through the
other, in the other one the engine was destroyed but the crew got away
with a few minor scratches. After this, the Danes flattened the Serb
position from which the missiles had been fired. There was no more
problem from the local Serbs afterwards.

(I got this from one of the guys in the flown-through APC. Not sure if
he
was just bragging, but he seemed serious enough. You have to admit that
buzzbombs or other AT missiles qualify for heavier counterfire than
rifle
rounds, though <g>)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design