Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:52:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

>I meant, vis a vis today's force. Now you are mistaken in one sense.
>The most likely thing I can see to change force composition is
>economics. If it is expensive to put men in space (and you aren't
>shipping them like frozen fish sticks), then that will probably
>seroiusly impact force composition. For every high tech force
>equally. Hence no imbalance. Only smaller forces doing the same job.

I think this was the point I was trying to make a couple of days ago.  A
modern Brigade can do what a division in WWII could in terms of
firepower,
etc etc.  Maybe moreso.  The Australian military has recognized this and
has decided that the old Brigade/Division/Corps concept is obsolete.
They
forsee a lower density of troops in a given area of conflict relative to
what has been the case in previous conflicts, because of the greatly
increased lethality of any given unit.	They aren't shrinking their
platoons, just saying that a well trained and equipped modern platoon
can
do what a company used to, and so on.  You are absolutely right in
saying
that smaller forces will do a given job, but I think the units
themselves
probably won't shrink much (A platoon of 25 to 40 guys works well from a
human-management point of view - good group dynamics, etc.  Smaller and
you
suffer too much from casualties, larger and it gets more difficult for
one
commander to manage, etc.  And if that one commander of a bigger group
buys
a farm, the unit has a problem.  You don't want the ratio of
leaders-to-led
to become too big, or any casualty amongst the leader group will cause
huge
problems in the led group...)

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier