Prev: [OT] Historical snipers(Was[DS and SG] Snipers) Next: Re: [FT] FTL Travel

Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:43:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

>I see inner system corporations producing high-cost, low maintenance,
>extended life-span systems for export to colony worlds, perhaps
>providing a range of packages that are tailored to the level of local
>tech and industrial support that is available.

For sure this makes sense - but just the same way that US equipment
out-tech's today's obsolete-but-reliable gear used by poorer nations,
the
equipment of the 23rd century would have the same kind of relative
values.
I don't think we were necessarily saying that the colony world equipment
would be equivalent to AK47's and vietnam era tactical radios, but that
there would be an EQUIVALENT difference in tech capability between the
leading edge stuff fielded by the main powers and what can be supported
by
a colony with a limited industrial infrastructure / economy.

Adrian

Prev: [OT] Historical snipers(Was[DS and SG] Snipers) Next: Re: [FT] FTL Travel