Prev: [ot fh url] european national anthem Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy

From: John and Roxanne Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:20:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy

Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:

>	  Currently, a fighter is one mass and takes up that kind of
space in the
> hangar.  but to maintain it and arm it etc. itakes up 1.5 * its own
mass.

     Not wishing to detract foom the discussion too much!!!
Sorry Phil, but the fighter does not have one mass per fighter.
In FTII terms, if the fighter is one mass then it must be a
parasite fighter without any internal support on the 'carrier'.
In FT2.5 terms the fighter would have a 'support level' equal to
one half of the fighters mass in supplies/spares, not a realistic
value to sustain the fighter for any period of time.
    Therefor, the 'Fighter' is a fractional value of mass and the
entire squadron may be less than one mass.

    I do however agree that for transportation purposes the (single)
fighter should be considered 1 mass.

    I do feel this discussion is just another attempt to justify
a larger compliment aboard a carrier.	If you feel the need to
do so, just do it!   There is no 'permission slip' required.
To drag out something I suggested the first time 'round:
    Double the number of fighters on the carrier, pay the costs,
and as you launch two squadrons move two of the spares into the
now enpty bays and ready them for launch.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: [ot fh url] european national anthem Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]