Prev: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR Next: (FT)(OT) (FT-Variant) Fwd: ad2300] Player Wanted

Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:38:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy

Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:

>	Currently, a fighter is one mass and takes up that kind of space
in the
> hangar.  but to maintain it and arm it etc. itakes up 1.5 * its own
mass.
> My thinking is this, if you want to carry spare fighters, then place
them
> in cargo and they take up one mass apiece (or 24 CC as in my earlier
note,
> where 1 Mass = 25 CC).
>	If you want to break out the fighters from storage, then you
better have a
> hangar ready for it.	It takes one strategic turn to break it out,
warm it
> up and have it ready for the next fight, etc.

I'd still think less than 1 Mass per fighter in storage, or at least
for a broken down one. Try this (a variation on what you have)

Ready-For-Flight Storage - all it needs is preflights, fueling, quick
check, arming - stores as 1 Mass Point. Takes X time to ready.

Broken-Down Storage - needs reassembled from basic modules, more
detailed checks including maybe some small test flights around the
carrier, arming, fueling, calibration - stores as 1/2 or 1/3rd mass
point. Takes 2-3X time to ready.

(Whatever X time is, fit to your own taste).

Thus, you can carry either fighters ready to be moved into empty bays
in a short time, or fighters packed for longer term storage. This may
even not be carrier info - it may be info for the "CVE" or "fleet
provider" designs. But it would be useful somewhere....

> Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255