Prev: Re: Theater Air Defense Systems Next: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy

Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:37:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

> prop. Sometimes old tech is and advantage. One of the Australian
> "Oberon"
> class subs entered the boomer base in Seattle without anyone,
> particularly
> the Yanks knowing about it until it surfaced. The Russians have
> continued
> to use values in much of their military electronic gear because it is
> less
> vulernable to EMP (electro magnetic pluse) effects which is basically
> what
> you get during a solar flare or exploding a suitable nuke in orbit.

This is, umm, how should I say, an "urban legend". If you've ever spent
any time around any harbor then you know no skipper would ever undertake
such an iresponsible  hazordous activity in shallow waters in anything
but the most dire of consequences. Most of the harbor where the sub base
lies is in less than 30 feet of water except for a few channels. He
would have been cashiered by the Australian Navy at the least for trying
such a thing.  The run in to Puguet sound is very heavily trafficed by
all manner of ships and subs don't even submerge until they're a half a
day out or longer. Even at Groton, Subs don't submerge until they're
almost a day out and off the continental shelf.

Regardless, it is true that diesel boats are ingherently quieter than
nukes. My original comment was a JOKE.

Los <g>

Prev: Re: Theater Air Defense Systems Next: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy