Prev: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy [FT] Next: RE: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

[FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:28:52 +1000
Subject: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

G'day,
		I've recently finished reading a series of journal
articles and
conference presentations on human germline engineering, which suggest
that
its going to be all too real within the next 10-20 years. Given the
recent
discussion on cramming crews into spaceships, and the fact that I
personally wouldn't relish the thought of being dressed in power armour
and
dropped from space, I got to wondering about the use of genetic
engineering
in the forces of the future. Would germline engineering be used to
increase
the pool of people who are "different" (as Tom put it) and so can take
unusual stresses more or less in their stride? Maybe such "enhanced"
individuals would make up the body of troops/crews used in really high
stress situations and you'd have good old joe bloggs every where else,
or
maybe the forces we'd see in the field would all be "enhanced"....

Anyway just chewin' the cud.

Happy gaming,

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Space carrier fighter philosphy [FT] Next: RE: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...