Prev: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:00:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:

I don't think it could be just one installation. That wouldn't give
you full planetary coverage. Minimum I'd say would be 3 big
installations each covering 120 of arc.

Attacking this in SG and DS2 should be fun!

Note that the fact it doesn't attack size 1 suggests the use of
either drop troops (size zero) or drop pods with 2 pa or 5 normal
grunts each) (unless I've misremembered I think its one SG2 cap point
for a trooper). Justifies doing conventional PA. (To neutralize THAAD
and PD batteries before the real landings).

Tom.

> Hello,
>	There have been previous discussions of how to build different
kinds of
> Area Air Defense systems, those that use RFACs, GMSs, and even DFFGs.
> However, my thoughts are more along the lines of deploying a Theater
Air
> Defense system, an eveolution of the current THAAD and SM-2 Block IV
> missile systems.
>	This system would attack all aerospace vehicles that enter the
planetary
> sector from orbit,  all aerospace and VTOL aircraft that are at high
> altitude, and all objects larger than size one that are being
orbitally
> inserted.
>	It would use the same mechanics as the current Area Air Defense
systems,
> quality die ect.  But its roll is to effect the entire table top.  The
> total system would take up a lot of space.  It could be in one giant
fixed
> facility or be built from multiple modules, the loss of a module
decreases
> the quality die, etc.
>	I was thinking of using something like this to represent the
planetary
> defense batteries of the Imperium cross over discussion for Full
Thrust.
> Now we might be able to play a DirtSide II battle for control of the
> planetary surface...
>	Phil P.
>
> Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)