Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT) Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

Re: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:44:33 -0500
Subject: Re: ADLER TAG AAR

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Jeff Lyon wrote:
>
> > Los,
> >
> > Great battle report.  Can't wait to see the pics!
> >
> > At 02:11 PM 10/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
> > >The fighter arm suffered worst. They lost 76 fighters! Subsequently
> > rescue
> > >operations (since we know owned the space) netted 33 ejection
> > capsules but
> > >only 15 of those pilots are fit for duty.
> >
> > We've been talking about implementing something like this for our
> > Imperium
> > campaign.  I'd be interested in hearing what your rules for SAR ops
> > are.
> > Is this strictly for determining pilot experience or would you allow
> > replacement of a portion of the fighters as well?
>
> I will talk more about this later but its relly for determining
fighter
> availability for future battles. There ususally are more ships than
> pilots in a squadron, but after several battles both dwindle fast. In
> this case the 1st CAF will have undertaken three fighter intensive
> operation to secure  a landing on Rot Hafen (HARBINGER I. ADLER TAG,
and
> HARBINGER II), all with significant loss of fghters. Now it has to
> replenish in perparation for any further moves by KV forces.

Don't most carriers carry fighter spares 'broken down' which can be
put together to replace losses (and hence your carrier only needs to
get replacement pilots, much easier and cheaper)? This concept was
used (I thought) in RL and I know in SFB. Seems to me you'd have
'ready spares' aboard equal to between 50 and 100% of your fighter
bay capacity.

Here's an idea for this in FB terms. Ready spares take up half the
size and weight on a per unit basis as regular fighters, but cannot
be used within the context of a scenario. It would take at least 12
FT turns to ready 'ready spare' fighters, and that can only be done
in an empty bay and if pilots are available (rare!). This means your
carriers get even more massive to accomodate these. Ready spares
might or might not be represented by a damage box (probably should) -
maybe two spares to a box?

Someone FT wise can comment more on the feasibility of these ideas.
Or maybe these ready spares are already assumed in carriers.

Tom.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT) Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)